Jul 9, 2012

Surgery Day

Logan had to have tubes put in his ears.  He has had multiple double ear infections and constant drainage in his ears, so the Doctor decided the best solution was to put tubes in.  It sounds minimal and it is such a miner surgery, but it was still a big deal for mom!  Just knowing that he had to go under anesthesia was scary for me.  It was his first time and he is just so young and so yes, I was a little nervous!  At first I didn't know if I would be able to go back with him and watch him go under, but I did and I am so glad I did.  I got to hold his hand and give him a kiss before they started the procedure. 
The day of the surgery, we dropped Lily off at a great friend, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!, and took Logan to Rockey Mountain Children's Hospital at Presbyterian Saint Luke's.  We scheduled his surgery for 7:30 am, the earliest time, because he couldn't eat or drink before the procedure.  We got there and got checked in.  Then it was time to put on the gown and go to the play room while we waited for our time.  Logan made a sweet friend.  He and Logan rode together in the wagon.  I talked with his mom and she said it was not his first surgery.  It was nice to talk with a mom that had been through the process before.  I know my situation was nothing compared to hers, but at the same time we were both going through the same thing.  Our baby was going into surgery and that is a big deal to a mom!  When it was Logan's turn, they had me carry him back.  The nurse told me it would be okay and that I looked nervous!  That was an understatement!  We got back to the operating room and I laid him down.  It took about a minute and he was asleep.  I kissed him and then went back to wait.  The procedure is very quick and so we were back with the little man in about 20 minutes.  He was coming out of anesthesia when we got to recovery.  That was the hardest part of it all.  He was crying and unsure of where he was.  He slowly came out of it enough to have some juice and crackers.  He drank 3 sippy cups of juice!  The nurse was amazed at how much he drank!  I am sure he would have drank more too!  We were in recovery for about an hour and then we dropped daddy off at work and went home.  My friend brought Lily home!  Then we spent the day cuddling and playing.  It amazes me what modern medicine can do!  What a blessing it is to have these tubes!  We can already see a difference in our little man!  He is trying to make more sounds and is clearer on some of his words.  I am so glad we were able to help him!  Thank you to the staff at Children's and especially to our Doctor! 







No comments: