Jan 31, 2009

Great Movie

Last night TJ and I had a date night at home. We watched a great movie called Fireproof. WOW! It stars Kirk Cameron. It came to theaters in September and ever since I have wanted to see it. It is about a couple that is facing divorce and how they deal with it. I thought it looked good, but I was surprised at just how good it was. Kirk Cameron plays a firefighter named Caleb. His work motto is, "Never leave your partner behind." He is not as good at living this motto outside of work though. As his marriage is facing the end, his dad has a talk with him. He tells him that his own marriage was once on the verge of ending. He said that it took a lot of work but that it was now stronger than it ever had been. He also asked Caleb what it was that bothered him about his wife Catherine that was so bad that it would end their marriage. Caleb asked his dad, "How am I supposed to show love to somebody who constantly rejects me?" His father told him that Jesus Christ shows us that kind of love. When we reject Christ, he still continues to love us. His father said it was the Savior that saved his marriage. Then is dad tells him to put off divorce for 40 days. He would be sending something to Caleb that would take 40 days to complete. Caleb agreed. The challenge to complete was called THE LOVE DARE. Each day Caleb was to follow the instructions and take one day at a time. Caleb starts out just doing the motions without his heart being in it. Each day gets a little harder as his wife continually rejects his actions. Caleb turns to his dad many times along the way as he thinks things are done. His father tells him to stick in there.
The movie is just so touching as Caleb starts to change. It amazed me just how much religion was a part of the movie. I was not expecting there to be any religion in it, but I agree with everything they say. It is inspired by a Baptist Church pastor, but his ideals about the relationship that God and Jesus Christ play in marriage are right on. You have to have a three way marriage for it to stay strong when fire hits. The whole message is to make sure that you fireproof your marriage. Being fireproof does not mean that fire will not come, it means that you will be able to know how to react when it does. I am telling you that this is a movie worth watching. I hardly ever cry during a movie, but there is one point in the movie that I just cried as Caleb is finally communicating with is wife. Watching this movie made me love TJ even more than I already do.
So sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to share this great movie experience with anyone that ever reads it. I would suggest that you watch it sometime. I hope you like it as much as I did. TJ even woke up this morning saying that he liked the movie. So if this inspired you to watch it great it just came to DVD on Tuesday. If not I hope I didn't bore you ... well I guess if it was boring you wouldn't have made it this far in reading.

2 comments:

Pilar said...

thanks for sharing that, i want to watch it.

Anonymous said...

We rented it and watched it and LOVED it, we also loved Facing the Giants! It's nice to have some wholesome movies to watch :)